Reverb 10 - Prompt 2 - Writing

I'm not a "writer" although I write often and for many purposes.  At work I send numerous emails, explaining in writing different procedures and requirements, answering questions, or sharing thoughts.  I write for class, as I complete courses for my Principal's license, papers, often long, and full of data, text references, and ideas about teaching, learning, and motivating teachers.    I make lists, scrapbook, write notes to remember, and have a blog where I write a little about our lives.  I just do not see myself as a writer.  As a literacy specialist I spend most of my time dealing with reading and students who struggle as readers, but a part my time is also spent working on writing helping students develop idea, then get them down on paper.  An interesting bit I've discovered in working with teachers is that teachers are almost all readers and can share with students personal examples and anecdotes from their reading life, but when we talk about writing most teachers do not see themselves as writers.    They don't write.  They don't keep a journal.  They don't have personal writing experiences to share with students.  It make the teaching of writing more difficult.
What gets in the way... I guess is the simple fact that I am a teacher, an educator, an almost administrator, but just don't see myself as a writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment